Attendance and Punctuality
The DFE is very clear that schools may not authorise holidays for children during term time. This includes for overseas weddings, to allow for unusual working patterns or to visit family. Holidays will not be permitted during term time.
Start of the day
The gates to the school will open at 8.45, at 8.55 children will enter the school. Once the school doors are closed children will need to enter via the reception where they will be given a late mark. Please ensure that your children are punctual in order to avoid this—thank you.
We will come out and greet you in the mornings before school.
* We will give you a call if your child is absent to find out the reason and if we don’t manage to catch you we will leave a message or send a text.
* Absence letters are sent out to parents to make you aware of your child’s attendance and in some cases a visit by the EWO would follow.
* We will enter the reasons for absence on our system.
* The target for attendance is 96% so we will issue a letter to any parents if their child is below this even if we do know the reason to make you aware.
* To keep on top of your child’s progress we track weekly low attendance and persistent absences and offer support where we can. This can mean we speak over the phone or invite you in to discuss any issues face to face.
* When necessary we complete home visits with the Education Welfare Officer.
* In some cases we will contact other agencies if there is an ongoing issue with attendance.
* We discuss the attendance of the whole school with the senior leadership team.
* Inside and outside the school we let you know how the attendance is by displaying bar chats of each class. We also put information in our newsletters and on the website.
* Parents are supported by us if attendance is low and we will encourage you to discuss any difficulties with the Education Welfare Officer and the Headteacher.
* We have an attendance policy and we inform parents of this at their request.
* We will also track lateness and issue letters to make you aware of how many minutes of school time your child is missing out on.
* We make sure all parents are given a late minute report at parents evening and a percentage of the child’s attendance to make sure you are always kept informed.
* Lateness is followed up daily to find out the reasons and offer help when needed.
* We regularly send out text messages to advise parents against taking children out of school for routine medical appointments.
* If you need to take your child out for an appointment then we will request the medical letter.
* All holiday requests are discussed with us and leaflets given to parents.
* Parents are notified when they will be issued a penalty notice before taking children out of school on holiday.
* We encourage children that don’t want to come to school and talk to them about their own concerns with school.
* Each week we carry out a celebration assembly to celebrate the children’s achievements. During this each class are told their class percentage for that week and the winners are given the attendance teddy for their classroom.
* We aim to always have a good relationship with our parents and want to feel that you can communicate with us if you ever need to discuss any concerns and issues.